28 March 2023
Fortitude Valley Green Heart Design Competition
Brisbane, with the strongest population growth of all Australian capital cities last year, is projected to grow from 2,651,000 people to 3,081,800 people between 2022 and 2032. This population growth and densification poses questions to the capacity of existing parks to meet the needs of Brisbane as a contemporary ‘new-world-city’.
Within the Fortitude Valley a local community organisation is asking these such questions and seeking to develop strategies that respond to the city’s population growth and define legacy solutions for the future of the Fortitude Valley’s public realm. The Strawberry Fields Parkland Project is seeking input from the next generation of Brisbane’s landscape architects to engage in an ideas competition to establish a new green heart for the Fortitude Valley.
This competition challenges student and emerging landscape architects to envisage the future and speculate on new park possibilities for the Fortitude Valley. We invite participants to contribute to the conversation through a design response to the following questions:
• How could this new green heart be configured and what is its role?
• How can green public space shape the Fortitude Valley’s urban form?
• How does the park establish and generate connections into the Fortitude Valley’s urban fabric through its movement, infrastructure, economic, environmental, and cultural networks?
At this inception stage of the project, the competition calls for submissions that need not be highly resolved or address all the project challenges. Instead, this competition aims to generate submissions that inspire, ideate and enable a dialogue between community and stakeholders regarding the future of the Fortitude Valley's public realm.
CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL COMPETITION BRIEF AND TERMS
KEY COMPETITION DATES:
- Competition open 28 March 2023
- Expressions of Interest are due 31 March 2023
- Submissions due by 24 April 2023 at 11.59pm AEST
- Winners will be announced by AILA QFresh early May 2023 via Instagram
- Entries will be exhibited publicly late May 2023 (date and location TBC)
- This competition is open to AILA Student Members and those eligible for AILA Graduate Membership (graduating from a Landscape Architecture degree in 2018 or later) and practicing in Queensland
- Register your expression of interest via email by 31 March 2023 (see Competition Brief for full details), with your name and entrant category to [email protected].
CLICK HERE to read the full competition brief.
This competition is an initiative of the Strawberry Fields Parklands Association supported by AILA QFresh.